About Me

I am also the author of 4 books, available on Amazon, and at many major outlets. I have been contributing writer for Combat Handgun Magazine and Women and Guns Magazine.

I was an instructor for many years, Recently retired.

Thank you for following along with me as this journey continues.

Safe Shooting!



my books

my books
Thoughts, comments and insights for women who shoot and the men who love us!

Monday, August 5, 2013

Review of Lessons from Unarmed America (Mark Walters and Rob Pincus)


This book is available as an e-book on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EAQAMJY/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img#_, with hard copy to come.

This was not an easy read, it isn’t a light summer beach book.  This is a thought provoking, hard, scary book that EVERYONE should read.  Reading most of the stories, I found myself thinking I’ve been there, right up to where it all went wrong.  This just served to remind me that bad things happen to good people and we need to be aware.  Mark Walters relates the true stories in a matter of fact way, not embellishing, the stories stand on their own.  Coming after with analysis of what might have been done different is tricky, but Rob Pincus handles this without laying blame. 
This book doesn’t attempt to convince the reader that a gun is a panacea.  It offers real life situations that went horribly wrong, and discusses how situational awareness, training, and yes a gun, might have made a difference.
If you can read these stories and not relate to any of them, you live in a bubble.  I found myself thinking of situations in my life and how lucky I was they didn’t meet the same end.  Scary, un-nerving and thought provoking.  This is a must read. 
 


2 comments:

  1. I will definitely check it out. I know I look at my past, even made a post of some of the more dangerous situations and how I was never harmed but I'm certain if I hadn't been aware and extricated myself or took authority over the situation, it might have ended very badly and I'm just grateful they never did. It was a question I asked long and hard while I awaited my conceal carry permit, why do I need a gun now when I've gone 39 years without and have done fine. My only answer is that I want to and I would rather have a better edge and I was just simply lucky in the past and let's not push it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too will look for that. I handled firearms most of my life, except for during my marriage, where my abusive husband wouldn't "allow" me to have one. When I picked up my first pistol at age 36, I knew that I wasn't safer per se, until I became proficient with it and learned from others. But I was in a mind set where I would be willing to fight, and not just accept the blows of life.

    ReplyDelete