About Me

I am also the author of 4 books, available on Amazon, and at many major outlets. I have been contributing writer for Combat Handgun Magazine and Women and Guns Magazine.

I was an instructor for many years, Recently retired.

Thank you for following along with me as this journey continues.

Safe Shooting!



my books

my books
Thoughts, comments and insights for women who shoot and the men who love us!

Monday, June 22, 2015

Gun Bunnies Redux - Your Measurements Have Nothing to do With Your Caliber

There has been some debate lately about what a female shooter looks like.  My question is why does she have to look a certain way?  There is the uber-sexy Gun Bunny, all big breasts, tiny waist, skimpy outfit, hair blowing in the wind…and a grip that would probably cause her to bruise if not break something if she actually fired the gun.

Then there are the real shooters.  Some of them are gorgeous, slim, properly attired and showing safe handling.  I’m thinking of some recent photos of Julie Golob, Annette Watcher, Julianna Crowder, Becky Lou Lacock… to name just a few.  Then there are the rest of us.  We can be tall, short, slim, chubby, physically impaired, young, old.  We are your neighbors, your Mom, Daughter, Sister, Friend.  We are real women, as are the ladies mentioned above.  We are a lot of things, but most of all we are smart, sassy, genuine, and safe.

I believe there is a type of woman who shoots.  She is smart, empowered, and aware.  She knows (forgive me L’Oreal) she is “Worth It”.  We are shooters, and we enjoy the sport, the fun, the empowerment and camaraderie.

Personally, could I stand to be in better shape?  Absolutely.  Could I rattle off the major life issues, physical and emotional, from the last couple years that contribute to my measurements?  Yes, but it doesn’t matter.  I shoot for the joy of shooting.  I teach to share that joy.  I practice defensive shooting because that is my chosen focus.  I write to share my passion.  You don’t have to like it, but if you are going to critique me, critique the facts, not the hips.

Remember, your measurements have nothing to do with your caliber! 

3 comments:

  1. Good Lord! I cannot believe that people take the time to criticize a woman for how she looks when handling firearms for anything other than whether or not she's doing so safely and effectively. Thank you for what you do. Please, know that you are respected and I appreciate that you are representative of the majority of your fellow women shooters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent point - we all at one point probably had our "booth bunny" days, but I'd rather look a bit frazzled from teaching my grandaughters a thing or too, then worry about how I "look" when I'm shooting. The male shooters I admire are not admired for their looks (though some are quite handsome). It's capability, NOT appearance.

    ReplyDelete