About Me

I am also the author of 4 books, available on Amazon, and at many major outlets. I have been contributing writer for Combat Handgun Magazine and Women and Guns Magazine.

I was an instructor for many years, Recently retired.

Thank you for following along with me as this journey continues.

Safe Shooting!



my books

my books
Thoughts, comments and insights for women who shoot and the men who love us!

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Political Correctness in the Shooting World


There has been a lot of press recently about political correctness, defined by Wikipedia as “an ordinarily pejorative term used to criticize language, actions, or policies seen as being excessively calculated to not offend or disadvantage any particular group of people in society”.  Given the nonsense attributed to Political Correctness, the definition appears to offer a much more narrow view.

It got me thinking, how does this apply to shooting? 

What about the term “Bad Guy”?  Are we singling out men as being the aggressors or criminals? Why not “Bad Girl”?  But, that has another connotation. 

How many times has someone referred to their firearm with a feminine pronoun, as in “She shoots sweet?”  Why not “he”?  Oops, that could be misconstrued, too. 

How many “bullets” are in your gun?  The same as the number of cartridges, I hope, since I shoot semi-auto.  Granted, bullets aren’t people, but they have feelings, too.

Admittedly, “Bad Ass” has become a gender neutral term.

No comments:

Post a Comment