About Me

I am also the author of 4 books, available on Amazon, and at many major outlets. I have been contributing writer for Combat Handgun Magazine and Women and Guns Magazine.

I was an instructor for many years, Recently retired.

Thank you for following along with me as this journey continues.

Safe Shooting!



my books

my books
Thoughts, comments and insights for women who shoot and the men who love us!

Monday, January 23, 2012

The Brass Dance…Dressing for your Trip to the Range

I’ve joked that that are two types of shooters.  Those who have done the brass dance and those  who will do the brass dance. 

There is an almost mystical attraction between hot brass and cleavage.  I have even had hot brass slip down inside a turtleneck!  If you shoot long enough, you will get hit with brass.  Instructors, who are up close and personal with their students, leaning in to watch their fingers, gun and eyes will have brass bounce off their faces, protective eyewear, and various other body parts.  I seem prone to having it bounce off my nose. 
You can minimize your risk, where a high neck top, closed toe shoes (imagine hot brass stuck between your toes!).  When the brass gets someplace it shouldn’t, like next to your skin, it hurts!  It can be difficult, but you must remember to respond calmly and safely.  Keeping your gun pointed downrange, lay it down on the shooting table, step back out of the booth or firing station, and then…do what you need to do.  You may get some chuckles from the other shooters, but we have all been there.  The typical brass dance looks like something between a bad Dancing with the Stars moment and a strip.  When I got brass down my turtle neck I had raise my outer shirt, un-tuck my turtleneck, and flap like a hot flash (no pun intended) to get it out! 

Be prepared, it happens.  Minimize your risk, and when it happens, remember to respond safely for your sake, and those around you, and then…do whatever you need to do!  We will all understand.
Safe Shooting.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the Brass Dance. I know it well.

    I always recommend to students not only a t-shirt or high-necked shirt, but a hat. A baseball cap can work wonders on keeping airborne brass out of your shooting glasses and consequently, out of your shirt.

    My personal range fashion statement is my favorite straw golf hat. The brim is slightly curved around the edge, so it has a tendency to catch and hold brass (8 rounds of .45 = 6 casings in my hat). I joke that some day, I'm going to set my hat on fire. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the hot brass dance. I don't know a single shooter who hasn't done it. Last time I took my son out to the range, he was properly attired - long pants, boots, long sleeved shirt, hat, eye protection - and I was in my workout clothes - shorts and a tank top. I went to the range fully expecting to do the hot brass dance because of what I was wearing (or not). However, he was the one doing the dance while I stood around and laughed. Complete luck on my part.

    I figure, I know the risks, if I want to get a little sun at the range and choose to wear a tank top, I'm going to pay for it in the form of some tattooing between the chesticles. Ah, the price you pay for a tan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. off topic but i don't know about you but spam is annoying lol

    on topic however, it doesn't seem to matter what i wear, if i'm shooting a semi auto i always end up with brass getting stuck to me

    ReplyDelete