About Me

I am also the author of 4 books, available on Amazon, and at many major outlets. I have been contributing writer for Combat Handgun Magazine and Women and Guns Magazine.

I was an instructor for many years, Recently retired.

Thank you for following along with me as this journey continues.

Safe Shooting!



my books

my books
Thoughts, comments and insights for women who shoot and the men who love us!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Practicing for the Real World

Do you own a blue gun in the model of your carry gun?  If not, you might want to consider it.  I own 3, actually.  I have found them to be irreplaceable for training situations at home.  Dry Fire in a controlled environment is important, but there are things I want to practice where I don't want to be in my controlled environment, which is quite limited. 

I use my blue guns to try out holsters, to practice drawing.  I play a game with my husband where I will be wearing a blue gun just like I would my carry gun and he will call out "Threat" and we see how long it takes me to sweep and draw.  It is one thing to practice a fast draw when you tell yourself in your head "now", quite another when someone else calls it out, even when you are expecting it.  It has made a big improvement in my reaction time.

I can roll on the floor, I can beat on my heavy bag, "escape" from it and draw on the move.  All in complete safety.  I don't feel comfortable doing that with my real gun. 

Don't misunderstand, a blue gun is not a toy, it is a tool.   For me, it is a tool to inject a little reality into my practice and help me build skills I hope I never have to use.

Safe Shooting!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea, Lynne! I will be getting one soon. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Blue Guns are good for some training. I like it for close quarter fighting. I am not going to draw a real gun and point it at my husband no matter how many times we have checked it. When we train like that, the blue gun is useful.

    ReplyDelete