About Me

I am also the author of 4 books, available on Amazon, and at many major outlets. I have been contributing writer for Combat Handgun Magazine and Women and Guns Magazine.

I was an instructor for many years, Recently retired.

Thank you for following along with me as this journey continues.

Safe Shooting!



my books

my books
Thoughts, comments and insights for women who shoot and the men who love us!

Thursday, July 18, 2013

How do you handle a student with a disability?

It depends on the disability, I know. 

However, in this case, the gentleman is an amputee, missing most of his left leg.  He is right handed.  At first, he thought of a shotgun for home defense, but further discussion prompted a concern that if awoken in the night, it would be difficult for him to manage a shotgun and maintain his balance. 

Much discussion later, we came to a conclusion that a hand gun, in a quick access vault (there are kids at home) would be more manageable.  Then we had to look for the best options.  For a man who must balance on one leg, in the middle of the night, the conclusion was that shooting one handed, with the non-dominant hand, would allow him to balance on one leg, and use his other hand to help balance.

It was an interesting exercise in physics and balance and counterbalance.

As instructors we need to be prepared to think outside the box to help students find the solution that works for them.

Safe Shooting

4 comments:

  1. Well said. As a physically disabled person that's been shooting one-armed for 18 years now, it's been a much longer road than would've been needed if those I've taken instruction from had put more thought into their training. As it is, I'm largely self taught... and it shows :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is hard to imagine the feeling of vulnerability that would come with a significant disability, but I commend you for finding a solution that works for you. Be safe, if I can be of any help, don't hesitate to ask.

      Delete
  2. I am a NRA/S.L.E.D. Approved CWP Firearms Instructor, and have been teaching CWP classes since 1996.
    I have encountered numerous individuals with "disabilities", which I prefer to refer to as "challenges" when it comes to handling and using firearms for personal protection.
    Each case is different, but the idea of working threw the situation is what is important.
    The idea is to focus on what you have, instead of what you don't have. This concept also works well on most every other idea concerning survival and self preservation.
    If you are defending yourself in a fight for your life, you may very well be wounded or hurt during the confrontation. What do you do then, give up?
    The answer is, to be strong enough in your mindset to continue the fight and live to be a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the term "challenges", excellent point. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete