About Me

I am also the author of 4 books, available on Amazon, and at many major outlets. I have been contributing writer for Combat Handgun Magazine and Women and Guns Magazine.

I was an instructor for many years, Recently retired.

Thank you for following along with me as this journey continues.

Safe Shooting!



my books

my books
Thoughts, comments and insights for women who shoot and the men who love us!

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Why should I spend money on training beyond the basics?


Money is tight, why should I put my small discretionary income toward additional training after I’ve done the minimum to get my permit?  A lot of people are asking themselves that question.  Why do I need more training?

 
There is no one answer that fits everyone, but training is important.  Train with different instructors, take away the tips that work for you.  We all say it in different ways, maybe something will click.


Shooting is a perishable skill.  You need to keep practicing, but if you have only taken basic level instruction, it is possible that you are practicing by standing square to your target and slowly taking shot after shot, looking for the 10 ring.  But if you are carrying your firearm for personal defense, will your ability to slow fire at a stationary target help you?  Probably not a lot.

 
Advancing your skills includes learning to safely draw from a holster, reload without looking, scan your area for additional threats, possibly shoot fast, make the shoot/no-shoot decision quickly, shoot under stress, shoot around a barrier…If you already know how to do all that, still take training.  There are styles, techniques and tip evolving every day.  Sometimes the same information presented in a new way is what you really need.

 
Train as if your life depends on it…as it someday may.

 

Safe Shooting

1 comment:

  1. If my budget could afford it, I'd totally be a training junkie. I've yet to take a class that I couldn't learn something from - even if I hated the class/instructor.

    ReplyDelete