About Me

I am also the author of 4 books, available on Amazon, and at many major outlets. I have been contributing writer for Combat Handgun Magazine and Women and Guns Magazine.

I was an instructor for many years, Recently retired.

Thank you for following along with me as this journey continues.

Safe Shooting!



my books

my books
Thoughts, comments and insights for women who shoot and the men who love us!

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Day one - Welcome to my Blog! A little bit about me...

A little about me; I am a NRA Certified Pistol Instructor and am working toward additional qualifications. I teach with a great company in Northern Virginia called Innovative Defensive Solutions, LLC., (www.innovativedefensivesolutions.com) which is run by two wonderful, patient and caring guys, Evan and Dave. I have been shooting for about 15 years. Yes, I name my pistols…LOL. I’ve been studying women’s issues related to shooting, concealed carry challenges and personal defense. I hope to share some of what I’ve learned here and hopefully learn from you!

One comment I have heard a lot when I go in to the Sporting Goods store to buy ammo is “you don’t look like the type”. What is the type? I’m educated, smart, feminine, I like to have fun and I don’t deliberately put myself in dangerous situations. I’m exactly the type! I always laugh. I could be that I’ve left my 40’s behind and I remind them of their Mom.

I bought my first pistol in response to a threat from an ex “boyfriend”. I filed charges against him but it didn’t take me very long to figure out that “catch and release” wasn’t going to help me if he decided to follow through. The only one responsible for my immediate safety was me! That leap, which is actually huge, took me a surprisingly short time. I went to a local gun store and threw myself on the mercy of the man behind the counter. Not my recommended way to shop for a gun, btw. But it worked and I still have “Rachael”, my first and favorite. My next stop was the range where I literally wore a hole in my thumb reloading the magazines while I practiced for several hours. Also not something I recommend, but I was stressed. After that, a basic NRA course so I could file for a Concealed Carry Permit. I got lucky. He went to court, the charge was reduced and he got community service, but he also got a stern warning from the judge, which he opted to heed. I have not seen or heard a word from him since. In some ways I owe him a gratitude. Without that life altering incident I might not have discovered my passion for shooting.

So join me as we wander this path together. My target (no pun intended) audience is women who do, or want to, shoot; and those who love them. As my husband likes to say; “If you can’t be a gun nut, be a gun nut supporter!”

No comments:

Post a Comment