About Me

I am also the author of 4 books, available on Amazon, and at many major outlets. I have been contributing writer for Combat Handgun Magazine and Women and Guns Magazine.

I was an instructor for many years, Recently retired.

Thank you for following along with me as this journey continues.

Safe Shooting!



my books

my books
Thoughts, comments and insights for women who shoot and the men who love us!

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Review of Mossberg 500 Tactical 12 Guage Shotgun

I have a Mossberg 500 12 guage tactical shotgun, and I got the chance to shoot it for the first time. 
I was a little nervous, have been well warned about the recoil of a pistol grip shotgun.  But, using Federal Premium 2 3/4 inch, 1 oz, low recoil slugs, it was a lot easier on the hand than .357 through my short barrel revolver! 

Being a wise women, I let my shooting instructor (Evan Carson of Innovative Defensive Solutions, LLC) fire it first.  I really like him, but he is a big guy, and watching him gave me an idea what to expect.  Holding it up, almost to the shoulder, didn't work well. 


Holding at waist level, with the strong hand arm tucked down tight, the bicep tight, one foot back to brace, and strong support hand on the pump...the only trick was leveling the barrel, it was harder to judge than I thought it would be.  I may add a rail and a laser.



But, it was surprisingly easy to handle, accurate, fun to shoot and will be an awesome home defense firearm.  At about 30 inches it is shorter than a standard shotgun (although I have the option to swap out the pistol grip for a standard stock) so there is less length to deal with.  It gives me the option to fire home defense shot, which is safer to my neighbors tham my 9mm rounds.  And, it has a crown muzzle that, if needed, will give me a great striking capability against an intruder.

Bottom line, great firearm, I'm very happy with it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment