About Me

I am also the author of 4 books, available on Amazon, and at many major outlets. I have been contributing writer for Combat Handgun Magazine and Women and Guns Magazine.

I was an instructor for many years, Recently retired.

Thank you for following along with me as this journey continues.

Safe Shooting!



my books

my books
Thoughts, comments and insights for women who shoot and the men who love us!

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Oops, I did it again!

Things are slowly coming back to normal, very slowly.  Saturday was such an awesome day, and so much work!  Now, there is a bit of breather time.  Also, very soon I will be back on track with my posting, thank you for your patience while I recycled a little and wrote about NTYDTTRD. 

Sunday I had to work early for Innovative Defensive Solutions, LLC.  Early, but not long.  That meant...Gun Show!  Couldn't resist, there was a big Gun Show at the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly VA this past weekend, had to stop in and "look".  Well, if you read me you know...guns are like shoes.  I haven't been able to get my Glock 26 away from my husband, he really likes it.  That was my back up.  I have an LCP, but they do have issues with mis-feeds, even for me (some experience, know how to grip it, etc.) so...I bought a Ruger LC9 with a laser.  Never had a laser, planning to take it to the range and adjust is this weekend.  The LC9 if heavier than my Glock 26, but with a single stack mag it is a lot smaller profile.  The reviews I've read have all been good, it has been described as a little kicky, but not bad.  I'll let you know what I think after I've broken it down, cleaned it, taken it to the range and put 50-100 rounds through it.

Clean it?  Yep!  Always clean them when they are new, I do anyway.  I learned the hard way.  My first Glock, salesperson looked it over, someone I knew, and said it was fine, go shoot away.  I did, it still had the copper silt in it which ended up in my face...ow!  Nothing quite like getting pelted with tiny shards of metal.  So, yes.  On principle, it is probably a good idea anyway, make sure everything looks like it should, even though they are supposed to put one round through them at the manufacturer.  Ensure it looks right, is clean, lubed up appropriately and ready to go. 

I ordered a Remora thigh holster for the LC9.  Plan to carry it as a back up and on the rare occasions when I can't find a place to put the Glock 19.  Doesn't happen often but in a dress the 19 can be a problem.

So...naming?  I'm leaning toward Raven.  It is black, it is intimidating and I love Edgar Allen Poe...

Safe Shooting!!

7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing about your experience with the LC9... I've shot three mags through one and the Gals and I were thinking about picking one up since it's on the Ruger Instructor Purchase list this year...

    Dann in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote "Always clean them when they're new." I'm so glad you posted this today. I only just yesterday learned this. I had no idea they needed to be cleaned new from the factory. I took my new Ruger SP101 .327 fed mag revolver to get the basics down about it from my firearms instructor yesterday and he informed me of this. He also showed me how to clean it properly, and together we did just that - cleaned my brand new gun before it's ever been fired. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like they would be fine, but...I always say that no one ever had a malfunction because the gun was too clean. LOL But it is nice to know what it looks like inside before you put a lot of rounds through so you can spot the signs of wear.

      I have a SP101 .38/357. I fired ONE .357 through it. Not since. Of course, that was before I changed out the grips for Hogues that have a little give. Good luck! I'd love to hear what you think of it.

      Delete
  3. There used to be a pot-metal .25 ACP called a Raven. Glad she is not one! :-)
    Col. Cooper adopted the Raven as his symbol for Gunsite.
    Good name!
    gfa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Raven and the symbolism...nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate the comment. I have a lot of fun writing and sharing ideas and experiences.

    ReplyDelete